Sunday, November 06, 2005

1st letter of November 2005

1) 32nd Sunday in Ordinary Time, November 06, 2005

Monday, October 31, 2005.
In the morning I attended Amos class and in the afternoon the presiding class in which Father Fragomeni explained about the Anointing of the sick sacrament. At night I did paper of EMP/ethic class for the group.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005.
In the morning I finished my paper of EMP and sent it via e-mail to my group. At 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. I met Father Rocco for colloquium/formation. At 4.30 p.m. I attended the Mass of the Feast of All the Saints at CTU. The liturgy was in the Asian style. After coming back home for supper, I went to CTU again to have EMP/Ethic class in which I got my first paper (75/75).

Wednesday, November 02, 2005.

In the morning I attended Amos class and in the afternoon I got a post card from my Indonesian friend, Angelina who was sending it from Fatima Shrine in Portugal. At night I wrote my reflection on the visit to a Theravada Buddhist temple a couple of weeks ago. I called up Edi and Darwin to ask favor attending my presiding class group on Monday, November 21 at CTU.

Thursday, November 03, 2005.
In the morning I attended Chia’s class on Inculturation and Dialogue. At night we had community meeting with topic of Cosuma document regards International Theology.

Friday, November 04, 2005.
In the morning my neck and head were nerved painfully. From 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. I met Father Rocco again for personal formation meeting. At 1 p.m. Ignas, Harno and I went to Syafa’s house to celebrate Ramadhan’s day (Muslim feast day). There were some friends there as well and we had lunch. We took Father Jack home at Fullerton. At night I did my paper of EMP/Ethic class. My neck was cured, no more pain.

Saturday, November 05, 2005.
Today is the feast day for the Xaverian Missionaries and we celebrated this founder’s day with Mass at 4 p.m. presided by Father Alfredo Turco in which we, the eight Xaverian students renewed our vows. We are Alejandro, Denny, Ignatius, Dharmawan, Pascal, Harno, Valery and Francois. It was attended by some guests from IRF program of CTU, friends of Father Willy, sx. Father Dominic and Father Larry from Franklin Community, Milwaukee took part as well in this celebration. I helped out Father Rocco preparing the supper as well as Valery. In the middle of the supper Father Aniello from Saint Therese Chinatown joined us in this annual family celebration. Congratulation as well to all students in the five Xaverian International Theology who celebrate this Conforti’s Day and renewal of vows. I know that there are about 80 Xaverian students scattered in five countries, namely, Parma-Italy, Yaounde-Cameroon, Chicago-USA, Manila-the Philippines, and Mexico City-Mexico. We started the Mass at our chapel at 4 p.m. and the feast lasted at 8 p.m. Altogether there were about 20 people at our celebration in Chicago.

Sunday, November 06, 2005.
In the morning together with Valery I went to Saint Therese Church. At 9.30 a.m. I attended the Cantonese Mass. From 11 to 12 p.m. at the Confirmation class, Cesare, s.j. was teaching the five kids about the Saints. I remained there to participate in the meditation led by Father Michael at the church before the tabernacle from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. There were 5 people in this meditation, namely Father Michael, Agnes, Edi and Lisa and myself. I came back to Hyde Park and at 6 p.m. I had meeting with Father Rocco and Harno teaming up as liturgical team for this coming week. After the evening prayer, supper and reading Amos reading, I make photocopy of Indonesian Mass for next two weeks in preparation to do my second assignment of Eucharistic Presiding in my Presiding class at CTU. I plan to have this Mass presiding in Indonesian Mass at Saint Therese Church in Chinatown, the 33rd Sunday Mass, on Saturday, November 19, at 6 p.m. after the Mass of Father Aniello. I invite some Indonesian friends, who live around Chinatown and ask favor of my Indonesian confreres to participate in music and songs.


Denny Wahyudi, SX

My Reflection of the Visit to the Buddhist Temple:
Wat Phrasriratanamahadhatu


I am glad that eventually I could contact and make appointment with the Theravada Buddhist monk at Wat Phrasriratanamahadhatu Temple, which is located on 4735 North Magnolia Avenue. A couple of times I called up this temple but nobody answered it. Once I got answer but the monk didn’t speak English and he asked a lady to answer me then the lady asked me to call up again later to a Buddhist monk who speaks English. At that time I was not quite sure who is the name of the monk but afterward I called up again I got answer from a monk who speaks English. His name is Bikkhu Ratana. I noticed that his name is similar with the name of the temple and exactly in the middle of the name (Phrasriratanamahadhatu). I knew this temple first time from a Xaverian priest, Michael Davitti who works in Saint Therese Chinese mission in Chinatown Chicago, then I found out on the Internet the website of this temple. It is interesting that the monk was very glad and welcoming us who want to visit and know them. It is a basic attitude of Interreligious Dialogue, openness toward others even otherness. It is exactly I have experienced when I visit Buddhist temple especially the Theravada Buddhist temple in Indonesia in which I ever had experience live-in for 6 days. Their basic behaviors such as humility, respect, warm welcoming and giving things to the guests are exactly the same I have known some of the bikkhus in Indonesia. I was thinking that I did a good choice to visit this temple. According to my research on the Internet, this Theravada Temple is the closest one from CTU so I proposed it to my group. There are two other temples but they are located little bit far away. A lesson of this experience is whenever I have a will and spirit to pursue something that is good I have to be persevering to do it day-by-day until the goal is attained. It can be done with many other things in my life. When I loose the spirit and will, I will lose orientation and fall apart destroying my goal.

One thing that I am impressed until now is that Bikkhu Ratana witnessed of this place where in the past it was very dangerous, a lot of gangs but after they chose this place becomes their temple, the surrounding neighborhood is changing gradually becoming safer and peace area. I could feel it when I entered their temple from the backyard, the peace atmosphere inside the house and the warm welcoming of the residents. Then, I remember one prayer of them saying, “may all creatures in the world will be happy.” I know this motto when I was living in the Theravada Buddhist temple in Central Java for six days. One of the monks explained to me that all creatures mean all human beings, plants, animals and even the dark power or satan or evil spirit. I was wondering that they ask this intention for all in the world regardless enemy or friends. Isn’t it the Christian teaching that we have to pray for others especially our enemies? My conviction is with their peaceful and harmonious spirituality they live it out in their lives, they influence to others especially the neighborhood surround them. I can see their full dedication on the Buddhist teaching and it is evident when Bikkhu Ratana gave us the Chanting Book for each one of us in the group and before we left, he gave us bananas and some cans of drink. I remember again the spirituality of the Buddhist that whenever they can do give to others, they will do earnestly. They believe in Karma. When I called him up to make an appointment, he answered me not to bring anything to give to the Temple. The spirituality of giving to others is really struck me as a Christian and a religious. Their generosity toward the poor and their compassionate action give me example to do so. Before we left, he tried to find a CD of the Buddhist Dharma/ teaching in English but he couldn’t find it and he asked our address for sending the CD even though until now I do not receive it but I have seen his generous and good will toward us.

Another thing I do agree is that when he explained that our goal as human beings is looking for wisdom in our life that is not from our study of books or pursuing degrees in PhD or master but in the wisdom of this life through awareness, meditation and doing good things toward others. It resonated to me that time because I was thinking of my life in the process of priesthood. It has been so far 9 years and I feel tired of study and not so much enhance my inner spirituality. Then, I reflect that all of our grace as human beings such as mind, body, spirit and soul should be developed in better ways day-by-day toward integration with the Creator that is God. This is our duty as human beings in the world that is not always easy to make balance and harmony of those areas because basically we are fragile and weak as human beings. I believe that the area of inner spirituality is the most fragile in my life. I am not always aware of what I am doing in daily activities. I tend to do prayer, Mass, eating, sleeping, going to school, reading, accessing the Internet and the e-mail mechanically without full attentiveness and mindfulness. That is why the meditation is very important according to Buddhist teaching. I have dream someday that I can make research on the meditation of Buddhist compares to Christian prayer/meditation.

Before we left the temple, I saw some ladies preparing food for the monk and I know that the monks will have lunch before noon. They only have meal in the morning and before noon. This is exactly what I have known about the timetable of the Theravada monks. That is why the monk, Bikkhu Ratana is available at 9 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. in welcoming us because after that and before noon he has to eat lunch together with other monks in his community. He recommended us to feel free to visit again and contact him if we need other things. Overall, I am satisfied of this visit and glad to write this little reflection.

No comments: