Sunday, June 12, 2005

2nd letter of June 2005

11th Sunday in Ordinary Time, June 12, 2005

Sunday, June 05, 2005.
In the afternoon at 3 o’clock, Father Rocco and Father Willy took me to Alexian Brothers’ community on 801 Gloucester Drive, Elk Grove Village. Exactly one hour it took to this place that is right behind the Alexian Brothers Hospital. A Korean born Alexian Brother named John opened the door as I rang the bell of the house and then the rector of the community, Brother Danny McCormick whom I have contacted him since February 2005 in order to stay at this community while I am doing the CPE summer program. I felt welcomed by this community who has 14 members and 70 year-old of the average. They invited us to sit at backyard of the house with a small lake and various roses at the green and beautiful garden. My classmate, the Alexian Brother named Zeke was working at this garden then sitting with us having conversation. It’s truly my dream comes true. What I have been planning since last year with Brother Zeke has realized today. I’m glad and feel honored with this special occasion in my life. After having one- hour conversation and hospitality at the garden, we had evening prayer together at 5 p.m. at the Brother’s chapel including Fathers Rocco and Willy. After the Vesper, Fathers Rocco and Willy left, returned to Hyde Park, about 34 miles away from here. I was introduced and initiated by Brother Zeke to this community, starting with the practical things at this house like keys of the house, the lamps of my rooms, food, TV room, laundry room, and many little things. Then he took me to the hospital, introduced me the rooms till the 6th floor. I could imagine how wonderful it is if it was being done when I came to the USA first time so that I was not left behind to know little things that I should have and being done as a newcomer. I really appreciate this experience and special treatment given by my friend, Brother Zeke. It seems that this community know very well how to treat a newcomer like me. I am really grateful to Brother Zeke and the rector, Brother Danny who do their best to welcome me. For the supper, together with Brothers Danny and Zeke, I went to the cafeteria of the hospital to take some food and brought it to the dining room of this community. They have certain code number to access to the hospital and they let me know it as well. I felt more privilege with this sort of treatment; their secret number to access to the hospital was shared to me as well; what a privilege! The rest of the day, I watched TV with Brother Danny and Zeke. This house has 4 TV rooms where some brothers have their own place to watch. The brothers are from China, Korea, Philippines, Italy, Germany and the USA. I got a private room right in front of the rector’s room complete with phone and private bathroom. I felt being spoiled here, but I believe that all of these not coming suddenly, but through survey and efforts to connect to others. It’s all about relationship and friendship in the beginning and certain plan beforehand to be proceeded with dialogue in due times and with due persons. When we watched TV, Father Danny told me that if I want anything just tell him or Brother Zeke. They try their best to welcome every guest who stays at this community.

Monday, June 06, 2005. In the morning at 4.45 I woke up already since the dawn had appeared through the window of my room. I joined the morning prayer at the chapel of this community at 6.15 then having breakfast together. Soon after finished my breakfast, I went to my CPE program at trailer 2, just took a walk two minutes behind the house. Once again, Brother Zeke took me to this place, made sure that I arrived at the right place. Since nobody came till 7 a.m. at this place, I came back to the house and asked Brother Zeke to find out what’s going on and he took me to the conference room at the hospital. That’s true that there’s miscommunication between spiritual care department and the one who in charge of general orientation to the hospital. We’re not registered yet to this conference, but eventually we could attend it. There were about 60 people who mostly are new employees of this hospital from various departments. The conference started at 8 a.m., not 7 a.m. like the schedule we received from the e-mail of the CPE supervisor. The things they presented at this conference were more likely for the employees, not for us who are at the CPE program, so right after last session before lunch we were gathered at the cafeteria to meet our CPE friends. We are four students: two Lutheran seminarians, both of them male, Dirk (LSTC-Chicago, second year) and Erick who studies in California in specialization of Hebrew scripture, then two Catholics: myself from CTU-Chicago and one lady who studies at Loyola University, Chicago, M.Div and MSN (nursing program). This lady has a husband who studies M.Div program (first year) at CTU-Chicago, named Jonathan. Her name is Annie, originally from Jamaica and has Afro-American accent. Her husband is a lay deacon at Holy Family Church. Their house about 40 miles away from this hospital. To see my friends who have far places getting to this place, I felt once again having privilege that I can stay with Alexian Brothers community. Dirk said that what I am doing now is a smart way to plan far before hand doing this CPE. It’s a part of my CPE workshop as I attended at CTU in October 2004 that I came to know that the CPE program does not provide residency for the students. It drove me to think many times before taking decision. Providentially, my classmate at theological reflection, Brother Zeke, one of the Alexian Brothers, recommended me to apply to this hospital because I saw it has this criteria, opportunity to live at the Alexian Brothers community. I gambled to choose this only place for my CPE with my own confidence that I would be accepted and if not I would go to Indonesia for vacation as I said as a joke and maybe rather serious to Dharmawan. I know how difficult it is and what sacrifice it is to come to this place everyday from Hyde Park like Dirk does
As I noticed, the employees who attended this morning conference are very diverse: some Asians (Philippinos, Indians, Chinese), Caucasians, Latinos, Afro-Americans and some other ethnic backgrounds. At 1 p.m. at the office of spiritual care, we were welcomed by the CPE supervisors and staffs including the chaplains both Catholics (3 priests: one diocesan of Archdiocese of Chicago, one Polish, and one Indian) and other denominations. We’re altogether about 19 people gathered at this opening and reception moment meant for four of us as CPE students. We shared our identities and introduction of the personals of this spiritual care department. Digna, a Philippines lady, a pastor of other denomination is in charge of this CPE program. She gave each one of us a binder or handbook of the CPE program, a blue suite for the CPE students and took us to see the place for on-call 24-hours at 1st floor of the hospital then she guided us to a place to check our urine, to test kind of drug. Dirk took me to the hospital after patiently I have been waiting for quite minutes and moment his urine came out after drinking some cups of water in order to fulfill this drug-check requirement. I got the chapel of the hospital at due time before the evening prayer started and the Mass was celebrated by the Indian priest. There were Alexian Brothers attending this Mass, the daily Masses on weekdays at the chapel of the hospital every 5.30 p.m. It was attended also by few other people. After the Mass and the Vesper, I joined supper together with Alexian Brothers at their special dining room, right beside the cafeteria of the hospital. Again I am being part of this community, being served by the employees who work at the cafeteria of the hospital. I tried to communicate to some brothers who sit at my table. They were really very nice, inviting me to talk and share my experience. Even one of the brothers, named Eugene told me that he would show me another hospital, about 10 miles away, that has been bought by the Alexian Brothers. What I can do is just being part of this community especially in community gathering such as morning prayer at 6.15, evening Mass at 5.30 p.m. including the evening prayer with breviary and meals both morning and evening. I easily could adjust their timetable but in the evening I get tired and exhausted after the whole day have intensive CPE program. I do my best to verbalize my rich experience at this CPE program by typing this journal. I did type it after took rest a while in my room then I feel that I have to write this great experience and share to all of my penpals through weekly e-mails.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005. Today is my second day of CPE unit. At 5.15 a.m. I woke up and took shower then attended morning prayer at Brothers’ chapel at 6.15 a.m. I could see good commitment of the brothers here to come at the chapel earlier and all of them come at least 5-10 minutes before it starts. After having breakfast together with them, I had one hour and I read a book in my room then at 7.45 I just came to the CPE at trailer 2. We started our session with morning prayer with other chaplains at 8 a.m. that lasted 30 minutes including the short report of the on-call chaplains. Digna led us the session about CPE program and all requirement we should do in 11 weeks program. It seems a lot of writing paper but I believe that step-by-step we get there. Another supervisor, Jim Gullickson gave us session about CPE especially the goals and the objectives of CPE as it is written on the handbook we received yesterday. There are three goals, namely: pastoral formation, pastoral competency and pastoral reflection. There is learning contract and goals that I should make for myself and submitted for next week. It is pretty the same like what I have done at CTU for M.Div Ministry Practicum last academic year. What I have learned and done at CTU gives me basic understanding where this CPE program flows. Before noon, we had medical screening and I got shot for TB (Tuberculosis) vaccine then my blood was taken for three other vaccines. I never had experience coming to a doctor in the USA since my stay almost 3 years, now because of the requirement of the hospital where I have the CPE program, I should undertake those formal health screening. At 12.30 p.m. we had lunch at the cafeteria in which each one of us was given a bar code in a card in order to get maximally $ 5 for free lunch. Then we were led by Sandra, a chaplain who studies at LSTC-Chicago to a tour of the medical center: Day surgery, Neuro, Ortho, Telemetry, ER and PIR. We started with the hospital chapel at 1st floor where she usually comes before on call service. I was wondered about her, that she is a Lutheran but she also gives host, communion to Catholic fellows at the hospital with consecrated Catholic host. Probably, it will be discussed tomorrow in the session of Father Bill, a Catholic chaplain who already serves this hospital for quite number of years. A quarter to three, we were invited to attend Alexian Spirit of Excellence Celebration at Conference Center in which one of the resident chaplain named Linda Rump got the award. We supported her at this occasion. She will be on call service with me on this coming Thursday. We went to a place to make a badge ID name with photo where it is written: “Intern Chaplain” and finally we got it and put it on our blue suite. Now, we are officially chaplain of pastoral care/spiritual care department of Alexian Brothers Medical Center (ABMC). Since we’re tired so the rest of the session that is debriefing we escaped. Today our friend, named Dirk is in charge of on call service for 24-hour especially at night and he stays overnight at a chaplain room at the hospital. He is shadowing a senior chaplain, Sandra. At 5.30 p.m. I attended evening prayer (Vesper) and Mass at the chapel of the hospital. Then we had supper together with brothers including the two chaplains who will serve on-call tonight, Dirk and Sandra. In the garden at the backyard of the Brothers’ house, I hang out with three brothers: Danny, Zeke and Victor then they invited me to play ping-pong at a room where Brother Danny likes to watch TV, at the second floor. It’s a nice evening that I could play ping pong with them even though I never played it since quite long time ago. It is my intention to be with the brothers in this house because I am a guest so I have to behave appropriately. Though I don’t have a custom to play ping-pong but I enjoyed being together with them in this game. We’re the same not good players of ping-pong. Until 9 p.m. we played ping-pong then I took shower and typed this journal.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005. As usual I woke up in the morning at 5.15 then took shower and 30 minutes before morning prayer I did quiet personal prayer at the chapel then 6.15 a.m. Brother John Kim, from Korea, led the lauds. I had breakfast together with the brothers at this community. A quarter to eight I walked to trailer 2 at the spiritual care department where the CPE program is. Today Digna, our supervisor originally from the Philipines was absent because she attended her Methodist Church meeting as a pastor. We started at 8 a.m. with morning devotion/prayer, about mystery that one read a book about it then morning report: Jim Gullickson read a report of green book where it is written a report of last night on-call service. There were three persons passed away during last 12 hours. Even in the meeting Sandra, a chaplain together with Dirk, one of my colleagues should left the morning devotion because one of the patients just passed away after they received a message from the pager. At 9 a.m. a Catholic deacon named Dave gave us a session about On-call overview and use of computer, how to entry data of patients. This morning I was very sleepy and tired, my neck was stiffened but I tried to awake in the class. Before noon, Father Bill gave us a session about sacramental theology, practical things about anointing of the sick and communion to patients. At noon we are four students of CPE had lunch together at cafeteria. Linda, one of the chaplains guided us on a tour of the medical center: ICU/CCU/CVICU/WIC/Oncology and Cancer Institute and we ended up at Hospice Unit at 5th floor where Ken, another chaplain shared his experience. At this time, my sleepiness was terribly bothering me. Fortunately, at 3 p.m. the program was over then I could go home to the Brothers house and took a nap almost two hours. Then at 5 p.m. I went to the chapel of the hospital: 5.30 p.m. we had Vesper and Mass presided by Father Andrew, originally from Krakow, Poland. He’s one of three chaplain priests here. At 6 p.m. I had supper together with the brothers at their special dining room at the hospital. I hang out with Brother Philip, originally from Trenton-New Jersey. In his 77 year-old, he sill works as volunteer at the front desk of the hospital. I took a walk with Brothers Zeke and Victor to know the forest around here. I watched TV and hang out with Brother Victor then two other senior brothers: Philip and Eugene came joining us. I had little conversation with them as well. Before that I had chatting with Brother Jim, 84 year-old, from Louisiana and he told me that I’m a special person who can stay at this community. Normally, the brothers don’t advertise to others to stay at this community with any security reason. So, once again I was privileged to be here and always my gratitude to the Alexian Brothers through Brother Zeke, my classmate who helps me in order to stay with them while I’m in the CPE program. Even though officially I’m not one of the Alexian Brothers, but I feel at home, they accept and welcome me as their brother and they always try to approach and talk to me. It’s a wonderful hospitality I ever have experiencing living together with other religious community in the USA. Hopefully, I can behave properly as they put trust on me to be here for 11 weeks. During the sessions of the CPE today, most of the time, I kept quiet while three of my colleagues had talked a lot of things. I was not in good condition today, very tired and sleepy. In dealing with a new environment especially with whom I am living now, I let myself getting to know the brothers here and to be known by them as I stay at this community. My strategy is just stay with them in the community prayers, diner, and recreation time such as watching television, sport/ping pong, walking, or other occasions next coming days. Being present among them is all about my ministry beside my CPE program. I can see in their old ages, they are happy to see young people living a religious life style, which is very rarely in the USA nowadays. Today, Erick my classmate at CPE program who is Lutheran seminarian and Andrea, one of part time chaplain are on-call service overnight but they didn’t come to our diner with the brothers nor to the Mass and evening prayer at the chapel this evening. Hopefully, tomorrow evening I can go to the Mass in the evening before I am on-call service over night with Linda.

Thursday, June 09, 2005. We had morning prayer at the brother’s chapel at 6.15 then breakfast. The CPE started as usual with morning devotion and this time, Digna led us the prayer. Digna gave us a session about initial visit and Rosemary about charting some various form of chaplaincy. Before having lunch we checked up our TB vaccine and we are done with the health business, as the hospital requires to every single employee. Once again Linda led us a tour to some units at this hospital. In the afternoon Theresa shared us about administration of the chaplain office at trailer 2. At 4 p.m. I could take a rest for a while then took shower and attended evening prayer plus Mass at the hospital chapel at 5.30 p.m. followed by supper with Alexian Brothers in which Linda who is in charge of on-call chaplain tonight joined us. It’s her first time having dinner with the brothers even though she has been doing resident CPE for one year at this hospital. The brothers are always welcome to the chaplains who want to join them at the supper when they are in charge of the overnight on-call. After supper, I was shadowing Linda to visit patients at some units. We visited an 84-year-old man patient who was stated died but suddenly his breath started again. He was in comma after without oxygen for 15-minute. We met a chaplain named Andrea who just got little accident at the trailer 2. A big poster frame hit her forehead while she was typing at a computer room. She was OK afterward. With Linda, then I visited a patient who needs a prayer book, but he was sleeping, so we just left the little book at his bed. We made an initial visit to a lady who endures an obesity problem then we prayed together. She was a United Methodist fellow, just like Linda. She showed me how to fill out the chart after visiting a patient. She gave me a best guide to do this chaplaincy as my first experience dealing with patient. It’s always helpful if somebody accompanies me how to do things, which I am not familiar with. She did a great example to me as a model to follow. At 9 p.m. we dismissed, she stays at a chaplain room at 5th floor and I stayed at 1st floor. I had time to read some magazines and watched TV.

Friday, June 10, 2005. During the night, I didn’t receive any call even though actually Linda got a phone call at 4.30 a.m. that somebody passed away but there’s no family coming yet, so there’s no need to come early in the morning. She told me at the trailer how to fill out a form of deceased patient. After taking shower and personal prayer at the chaplain room, I met Linda at 6.15 a.m. and checked some units but nothing to be done. It’s amazing to see emergency room (ER) this morning that the situation was just the opposite of last night. This early morning time, it’s a quiet time, not many patients. We continued with our breakfast at the cafeteria with burritos together also with Brother John Kim, a Korean Alexian Brother who works at the radiology at this hospital. At 7 a.m. Linda told me how to write down the report at the green book and a form for deceased patient. At 8 a.m. Linda led our devotion morning prayer and shared the report we have during our on-call service last night. The session of this day given by Digna continuing yesterday’s issue, the initial visit and role-play between patient and chaplain. With Jim and Digna, we discussed our unit assignment and schedule for coming weeks. Each one of us gets a pager and 10 times on-call overnight schedule. I was asked favor by Digna to write and type database of ours. After lunch we were free and left for home. This night Annie and chaplain Andrea are in charge of on-call. I took a nap at my room at the Alexian Brother’s community then at 5.30 attended the evening prayer and the Mass at the chapel of the hospital. Today is also a celebration of Brother Bonaventure Thelen, a founder of Alexian Brother who came to the United States in 1860’s from Germany. To celebrate it, some volunteers shared cakes to people, who were coming to the cafeteria of this hospital and shared a pin of this brother. Annie and Andrea, who are on-call this night, joined us also in the supper with the brothers. Andrea, the part time chaplain came to join the brothers in the supper for the first time after quite a while doing chaplaincy at this hospital. In the evening, Brother Victor, a Chinese Alexian brother, 58 year-old, invited me to take a walk to the forest around here and there’s a quite long and gorgeous lake where some people were fishing. As we returned to the house, I saw Brother Zeke was watering the garden and I had nice chatting with him. At 9 p.m. I had chance to type this journal after delaying one day that was yesterday when I had on-call service.

Saturday, June 11, 2005. This morning I woke up later than usual since the Mass and morning prayer starts at 8 a.m. There was the superior general of the Alexian Brothers visiting this community. His office is at Tennessee. Together with him and two other brothers, Dan and Zeke, I joined their shopping at Jewel Osco not far from here. In the car they had fraternal conversation and teased each other while I remained silently trying to be familiar with them. While Brothers Dan and Zeke were busy picking up some foods, I had nice conversation with Brother Edward, the superior general whose simplistic life-style as I notice that he only uses Lumina’s car. After returning home, I was invited again by Brothers Dan and Zeke to buy some food for wild birds and fertilizer for their garden. We went to the North and passed by Mundelein Seminary. We bought some Chinese food, at Chinese Buffet at Barrington then we had lunch together at the community house with other brothers including the superior general. After lunch, I did laundry for my own clothes as my custom every weekend. I did take a nap for a while then at 4.30 p.m. Imelda Palmas and family plus Ibu Andrea and Nita picked me up to go to the wedding of an Indonesian couple, Richard-Arni at Wyndham Hotel, about 15 minutes from this house, at Elk Grove Village. I guess there were about some 150 people coming to this wedding celebration. I think it’s my first time to attend a wedding celebration in the USA with its own style, which is much different in Indonesia. In Indonesia people are coming and going but here the attendants should reserve beforehand as they receive the invitation whether they will come and how many people, their names, etc. We gathered first at the ground floor to have drink and chatted each other then after the groom and the bride came, there’s a traditional dance of Indonesia, West Sumatera, by Pak Ngurah and a woman. They called it ‘tari payung’ (the umbrella dance). We continued the celebration started at 7 p.m. at the other room in which there were some tables with names of some cities in the world. I sit at round table named Istanbul with Dharmawan, Marvin, Nita, Ibu Andrea, Nick, Yuki, Lia and Mimih. One thing that is unique that I never knew it before is that every time somebody rings a glass with knife or spoon loudly, the groom and the bride should kiss each other and they did many times as the guests request continuously to tease them. The wedding celebrants were coming to every table to give greetings and take picture together. The end of the celebration is dance party where every body is invited to dance together with the celebrants. The music played by a DJ was very nice with various sorts of music. Actually, it lasted till midnight but most people left earlier. I just enjoyed seeing people having fun with dancing and rejoicing. At 11.15 p.m. We left the wedding and once again Imelda and family plus Ibu Andrea and Nita took me back to the Alexian Brothers community at Elk Grove Village.

Sunday, June 12, 2005. I woke up at 7.30 a.m. then took a shower and prayed personally at the community chapel here. At 9 a.m. I attended the Sunday Mass at the hospital chapel, which was attended by some 60 fellows. It is a special celebration of the Alexian Brothers to recognize the Alexian Brothers founder in the USA who first time came to the USA in 1866 from Germany, Brother Bonaventure Thelen. There were about 60 attendants at this Mass. All are invited to eat refreshment at the cafeteria of the hospital. I joined the brothers who wore their black habit and white collar at their breakfast with other people. The volunteers shared cake and pie to friends and guests. At my room, I was typing this journal plus my weekly reflection I share below. At 1 p.m. Brother Zeke knocked my door inviting me to eat lunch together with other brothers. After taking a nap, I entered the chapel and we had evening prayer together with the brothers at 5 p.m. Brother Zeke prepared the Chinese leftover food for our supper. I had nice chatting with Brother Jim Darby who approached me talking about Catholicity at his own age and having hope for the better Catholicity in the future. It ignited me to talk more about my own experience both in Indonesia and in the USA. I guess it’s a sort of initial conversation that I will have in the pastoral visit to the patients doing my CPE and formulate it on the five verbatim cases.

All in all, I am very grateful to this first week wonderful experience I ever have in my life where my formation stage nearly approaching the missionary religious priesthood at the Xaverians Society.

In the CPE program, I have to write weekly reflection one to two pages. I share it to you as well here:
Denny Wahyudi (13 June 2005)
Weekly Reflection (WEEK I, from 06 June to 10 June 2005)

Having experience of the CPE program at the Alexian Brothers Medical Center for the first week, I just want to say one deep appreciation and heartfelt gratitude to God who has accompanied me to this journey. Through some special people and friends eventually I could come to this wonderful place and experience. My special classmate at CTU, who is one of the Alexian Brothers, namely, Brother Ezekiel Mapa who encourages me since last year when I was discerning my plan to do the CPE. He is the one who gave me inspiration to choose the only place for my CPE to fulfill my theology studies at CTU in order to graduate next year in May 2006. It seems that God opens his way to this place as I saw the list of some hospitals, which are available to the CPE students. I had chosen only ABMC with my faith and confidence, if it is the will of God, it will be done according to his not mine. I just try to do my best looking for the possibility in front of me. Indeed, God reveals many good things as I journey my daily life. One of many daily things is to know closer my classmate that is Brother Zeke.
First time coming to the community of the Alexian Brothers on Sunday afternoon, 05 June 2005, I was so honored and privileged that the brothers who accepted me here, are very nice and welcomed to me as well as to my formators who took me here. I arrived at this community at 4 p.m. and Brother John Kim opened the front door and saying that I must be Brother Denny, the Xaverian seminarian. Then, the superior of the house, Brother Danny McCormick whom I have correspondence since February this year after I have been accepted at the summer CPE unity, helped me carry my heavy luggage to the upstairs and took me to my room number 245. He invited us to sit and relax at the back yard of the house in which I could see gorgeous scenery, a small lake with swans, various colors of rose at the garden and the noisy of cooler machine behind the hospital. Brother Dan called Brother Zeke who worked at the garden and we had nice conversation. After one-hour hospitality at this garden, we continued with evening prayer at 5 p.m. at the community chapel. Two Xaverian priests who took me here, Fathers Rocco (my rector) and Father Willy also joined us at this prayer. The chapel reminds me the chapel at the Xaverian general house in Rome-Italy, with circle shaped. Then, they left me here in this wonderful community I act as an honor guest.
For five days experiencing the CPE program with three of my classmates, I have many various feelings both positive and negative. I am glad and happy at this intensive program and at the same time it requires a lot of passion and perseverance of me till the end of the program. I feel little bit discouraged when I see that three of my classmates are very active discussing at the class but me. I feel that I have little courage to engage in the discussion. It is not only because I am the only one who is non-American (USA) who don’t have English as first language but also my own attitude as an introvert person, who think over and over before saying my opinion to the class. I think that it’s part of my personality that I have to be aware of and to see the possibility to grow and develop in this context of CPE program. On the first days, most of the time, I remained silent but attentively paying attention to the introduction things. Afterward, I feel that I am accepted as I am in the group. Once Annie said to me, “You’re a quite man.” I replied, “Yes, I am. Probably it’s a sort of inherited attitude I was given when I was born from my mother side. My mother was such a quite person.” I am glad that three of my classmates are very talkative at the class so I learn a lot from them and once in a while if I have opinion while I prepare my words to utter, I try my best to speak and involve.
I am aware also that I am a special person, who has privilege to stay together with the Alexian Brothers, which my classmates do not have. Once I told this to them, they were jealous with me. I told them, it’s because of the goodness of my classmate who is one of the Alexian Brothers and I have concerned a lot since last year before I decided to choose this place as my CPE program. My plan and dream comes true at this moment in which I can stay with the brothers. I don’t drive and I think that it’s much better while I’m doing my CPE program I still keep up with the religious life in a community. I believe that living together with other religious people, united in prayer, recreation, dinner and etc. makes me still being part of the religious community in spite of different community and congregation or order. I try my best to attend every prayers and dinner at this community as their timetable everyday. Since my plan has been accomplished, so in my part now, I have to show my perseverance doing little things at this community and my CPE program. Every brothers to whom I talked to, makes me to be at home at their community. They are very nice to me. One of the brothers said that normally they do not advertise somebody stay at their community with many reasons. But, because some reasons I have accepted at this community and I believe through the witness of my classmate, Brother Zeke. There are some engaging conversations with other brothers here that I do not record it at this reflection.
Dealing with some chaplains who are mostly Americans, I am amazed how wonderful their eagerness to serve others at the hospital and their number is struck me. First time, we gathered together on the first day when they welcomed us, the CPE summer students, I counted there were about 19 people including us. I believe that the coordination and teamwork of this spiritual care department is highly valued by this hospital. They give outstanding and remarkable character of this Catholic institution, which put spiritual care in advance, just different with other hospital institution. At least, it’s one comment I heard of the other friends and my own experience.
My experience of shadowing Linda at on-call service as chaplain on Thursday night, introduces me to various work one chaplain should do at their service. I don’t know whether I could do the same like Linda has done to the patients. I saw how nice her treatment to the patient whom we visited. It’s a good example I can follow but I believe also that I have my own style and limitation as a person that I have to build and develop. With good will to serve others and a philosophy of Rosemary (one of the chaplains at ABMC) who was saying at one session that “it’s all about the patient not me” continually encourages me to do my best at this immersion program. I wonder also how I can do little things such as writing and typing some data after visiting patients when I do it by myself. I guess with courage to do and no hesitant to ask if I don’t know, it will be in progress with trial and error. The first experiences often times make me nervous. I am struck as well with some people who say that not us but God who works in us at this service to others. Finally, I am impressed on the five mottos of the Alexian Brothers in running this medical center, namely: COMPASSION, DIGNITY OF THE PERSON, CARE OF THE POOR, HOLISM AND PARTNERSHIP.

As of August 20, I am staying with the Alexian Brothers and it’s my address:
801 Gloucester Drive
Elk Grove Village
Illinois 60007
Room no. 245.
Phone: 847-437-5500 (ext. 3322)

No comments: