Tuesday, May 16, 2006

2nd letter of May 2006

5th Sunday of Easter, May 14, 2006

2nd letter of May 2006

2) 5th Sunday of Easter, May 14, 2006

Monday, May 08, 2006.

I had class of Natural Law then the Beguines. In the afternoon I finished my paper of Biblical Spirituality (20 pages) about the forgiveness in the Lord’s Prayer. In the evening I attended the last class of this Biblical Spirituality and submitted my final paper.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006.

In the morning I made the bulletin of Integrating Core class about the Benediction then I typed my paper on Julian of Norwich.


Wednesday, 10, 2006.

I attended the last class of Natural Law taught by Fornasari then the last class of the Beguines by Paul Lachance. At night I was reading the books of Julian of Norwich for my final paper.


Thursday, May 11, 2006.

In the morning I attended the last class of Integrating Core in Spirituality, Liturgy, and Ecclesial Mission in which there’s Benediction service in the beginning at the 6th floor chapel. At 11 a.m. I had oral exam of Natural Law with Fornasari (20 minutes). I bought one day pass of CTA cards for my guests who will be coming this coming Saturday from New York City and Philadelphia.


Friday, May 12, 2006.

In the morning I was doing my final paper on Julian of Norwich. Father Rocco gave me one set of breviary (4 books). At my room I was reading of a book about the diaconate rite and history in the church and at night I was cleaning the stove at the kitchen.


Saturday, May 13, 2006.

We had Mass presided by Father Ivan, the provincial of SX in the USA. In the morning most of us came to St. Therese Church to prepare things for my diaconate ordination while Edi Liang and I went to O’Hare airport to pick up my guests: 7 Indonesians from New York City (Frans Slamet Mulyono, Jenny, Gisela, Yusiang, Cik Merry, Om Erdik and Tante Elisabeth) and one Indonesian couple from Philadelphia (Tatiana and Julius). They arrived at noon and we went to Saint Therese Church after the 7 New Yorkers checked-in at SRO hotel, right behind the Saint Therese Church. We had lunch at the basement of the church with the menu of Indonesian food that Tatiana cooked and brought from Philadelphia. Before I left to pick them up by Blue Line train, I had cooked rice. I continued to have piligrimage with them to Saint Jude National Shrine at the Southside of Chicago, on 91st Street. We went there by CTA red line and bus. Then, we went to visit the cathedral church at downtown Chicago and took a walk along the Michigan Avenue. We went back at Chinatown and had supper at a Chinese restaurant. It’s a wonderful day that I could meet again my friends whom I acquainted with two years ago when I did my pastoral experience in Philadelphia and spent 10 days in New York City. It’s because of the mutual friendship I have with Francis who knows the Xaverians in Indonesia. Thanks for him and for all of them who have made big effort to come to my celebration of diaconate ordination. I stayed at Saint Therese rectory and slept there.

5th Sunday of Easter, May 14, 2006.

In my sleeping at night I was dreaming of my diaconate ordination and I woke up early in the morning at 6 a.m. I welcomed the guests who came to my celebration including the bishop who came to the rectory in the morning. He’s Bishop John Gorman, 81 years old retired bishop who drives by himself coming to St. Therese Church. He asked me some questions friendly as a son to his grandfather. I just met him at this occasion. Before he came, Tatiana and her husband, Julius came to this church after they took a rest at our house at Hyde Park. Afterward, other guests came and I prepared myself to be ready on this celebration.

At 9.30 a.m. the Mass of my diaconate ordination started. Bit of nervous I entered in the procession with the bishop and other priests probably more than 12 in number. I tried my best to be conscious and aware of this important moment of my life. My experience of this ordination led me to see myself as a servant of God who has begun 10 years ago when I entered the Pre-Novitiate of Xaverians in Indonesia. It’s fulfillment is only God’s grace I have received from so many people along the way of formation both in Indonesia and the USA. I believe that many of my confreres and friends remembered me in their prayers on this special day of my life. When the bishop laid hand upon my head, I felt tremendously in awe and wonder and at the same time ‘mystically’ being transformed by the ‘power’ of the Holy Spirit. It is difficult to describe it in words but I could feel and sense that there’s something unusual happened in this occasion in which the bishop silently laid his hands heavily upon my head. Before that I was prostrate on the floor when the Litany of the Saints was sung. I heard of some friends saying that on this moment they were feeling touched almost tearing their eyes. I felt myself alert to sense the greatness of this rite that I surrender myself to God’s hands to this ecclesial ministry as deacon.

The celebration continued with the Eucharist and I was standing beside the bishop together with deacon Paul Han, svd. I served to distribute the communion to the congregation. I saw the church was packed by many people from CTU, my theological school in Chicago, the Indonesian groups, the parishioners of Saint Therese and other friends from other cities such as Milwaukee and Indiana.

The celebration continued with the sharing of roses to mothers because we celebrated as well the Mother’s Day in the USA.

In the celebration at the auditorium of Saint Therese School, I was impressed by so many people who came to enjoy this invitation. After Father Ivan, the provincial, Father Rocco my rector and Father Michael the pastor Saint Therese said some words to the people and the Bishop said blessing upon the food for lunch, I said some words to appreciate the goodness of those who are coming in this celebration. I recalled the homily of the bishop who said that as deacon I am becoming a minister of the Word of God, minister of the altar (worship), and minister of service to God’s people. As I mentioned this, I emphasized that this day was a wonderful day in which we coincidentally celebrated the Mother’s Day. Like in the Gospel I read, “Everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life” (Matthew 19:29). It’s exactly that I believe that even though my family were not present in this occasion, but I am convinced that those who were coming to witness to this event are my brothers, my sisters, my fathers, and my mothers. I thanked heartfully to those who came from long distant like the seven Indonesian friends from New York City and one of them named Jenny presented her talent to dance Balinese dance that made people paid attention fully. I thank to the cantor (Nita) and the organist and pianist (Rita) who have worked hard to help me to make this event to be more solemn. I thank to all of them whom I might forget to recall one by one. Through their friendship and generosity I pray may God grant them with the abundant blesssing. I thank as well to my confreres who have worked hard to prepare this event in spite of their business of this end of semester with many paper and exams to be done. Of course, I thank to those who have served the food for this event. With the generosity of Ibu Imelda Palmas, who made the dessert, ‘es teler’ (the drunken ice), people enjoyed very much.

I went back to Hyde Park and we had welcoming event to my guests who came from far distant, namely the New Yorkers and the Philadelphians plus Edi and Lisa who have helped me to accompany them at their pilgrimage in Chicago.

We had evening prayer led by Valery and we introduced ourselves to each other. The hospitality and the supper with them made this welcoming moment was becoming into full. Ibu Tatiana from Philadelphia prepared meat ball soup, the special ingredients she made (Indonesian bakso) which was very good in aroma. Father Pascal prepared things for this supper and cooked the spaghetti. We enjoyed the conversation, singing, and dance.

Overall, God is good to me and to others. Through others I have received a lot of love and much attention has been given to me and since now I should pay in return to pray for them and in gratitude spirit I should keep in touch with them in the spirit and real-mutual friendship.

No comments: