Sunday, October 23, 2005

4th letter of October 2005

4) 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time, October 23, 2005

Monday, October 17, 2005.
In the morning I attended Amos class then in the afternoon at our chapel, my group practiced the Eucharistic presiding. My group consists of two SVD students, Peter (a Chinese) and Long Phi (a Vietnamese), Joseph (a Vietnamese Holy Spiritan student) and myself. At 5 p.m. we did lectio divina in our community. Actually, I have practiced the Eucharist almost everyday, so it is not a big deal any longer. But, I see my classmates still did little mistakes as they did this practice.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005.
In the morning I did reading on ethic or EMP class on the Internet/ CTU moodle. In the evening I attended this EMP class and I submitted the first paper. At 10.30 p.m. I saw Father Rocco was coming back from Rome, Italy, the theology rector’s meeting.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005.
I attended Amos class at CTU then I went by CTA bus to Saint Therese School but unfortunately the principal of the school was not coming. I went to the church to meet Father Michael talking about training altar servers at the school. He invited me to have lunch at the rectory. I enjoyed their hospitality together with Father Aniello. I went home and read new Xaverian SEMIX from Rome about the Cosuma documents. I read almost the whole two books, especially regards the theology formation.

Thursday, October 20, 2005.
I was attending Chia’s class about Inculturation and Dialogue in which Steve Bevans, svd gave his presentation about the contextual theology. I did cook for my community: rice, shrimp crackers and vegetable soup plus pork (sayur asin/baikut). After finishing the cooking, I had time to practice the Eucharist at the chapel. At 5 p.m. we had adoration/holy hour in which Father Willy, sx and his two IRF classmates shared their experience being missionaries. They are one nun from Nigeria whose mission in Italy for nine years and one SVD priest from Liberia whose mission in Colombia. At 7.30 p.m. to 9.15 p.m. we had community meeting with topic still the same like last week, discussing about mission. Soon after finish the meeting I asked help of Dharmawan, Harno and Ignas to give me correction and input in my Eucharistic presiding at the chapel. At night I called up my younger brother in Ponorogo and he said that I would have a new nephew or niece next year. The news is that my youngest brother, Jimmy who just married last month, his wife, 19 year-old has already got pregnant. It’s a good news and I am happy to hear this news because some weeks ago as I called him up, he asked me to pray so that he would have a baby. And it’s already happened. It’s great. I talked to for a while as well to my father as he visited my younger brother, Rony at his cell phone and money-changer store in Ponorogo, Indonesia.

Friday, October 21, 2005.
Early in the morning, I woke up and took a shower and at 6.15 a.m. I went to Saint Therese church to attend the morning Mass at 7.45. I saw two boys, the fifth graders of Saint Therese School were serving as altar servers at the Mass presided by Father Michael. He gave them short training how to do things as altar servers. I was reading the first reading at the Mass that was attended only by 10 people and all of them senior citizens. After the Mass ended, I followed the students, Kevin and Samuel to the school to meet the principal, Mrs. Cavallone. I saw many students line up to enter their classes. I saw at this crowded children at least one Afro-American girl who is also one of the kids at the school. I was welcomed at the fifth grade by the teacher, Mrs. Fischer. From 8.30 to 9.15 a.m. I was at this class whose 18 students and all of them Chinese descendants. I shared with them about how to be altar servers at the church because they have to serve at the daily Mass in pair for October till November 2nd. I practiced and showed them in the class what to do when they serve. I demonstrated this practice with Kevin and Samuel who served this morning. Seeing that there’s still time to be at the class then I gave them my robe game. Some of them already knew this game because they played at the summer class last year with Petrus. I had nice conversation and little story with them. At 9.15 I left the class and returned at Saint Therese rectory.
I continued to go to Saint Peter Church at Loop to have reconciliation/confession. I became aware of the procedure of this sacrament because I have practiced and learned it at my presiding class. I went home and prepared the chapel for my presiding practicum this afternoon. I could take a rest for a while and at 4 p.m. with the help and presence of Dharmawan, Harno, Atumisi and Valery, I did my first Eucharistic presiding, taped by Dharmawan. I appreciated their kindness to help and attend my presiding. It is a weekday Mass and it will be evaluated by my professor, Father Fragomeni next week. It’s about 35 minutes. I am satisfied by this practicum even though the quality of the video is not perfect but at least I have done what my professor has told me in this act of Eucharist. I am looking forward his correction. I have to make one more Eucharistic presiding for a Sunday Mass in November in my own language, Indonesia. I will do it in Saint Therese Church Chinatown. I have to practice it before because even though it is the same Mass but the language is different. Hopefully, there will be some Indonesian friends around Chinatown will come to my second practicum Mass.
After having supper cooked by Alejandro, I did type this journal at my room.

Saturday, October 22, 2005.
In the morning after the Mass and breakfast, I was working at the kitchen cleaning up the refrigerators, doing laundry of my clothes and kitchen stuffs. In the evening together with Father Victor, I went to Old Mary Church on Michigan Avenue by CTA bus and train while the weather was bit raining. We attended the Indonesian Catholic group in Chicago (PWKI) fundraising with entertainment called “Pasar Senggol” (Bumping Market). Over than 200 people were coming to this fun Saturday night event that took place at the auditorium of the parish. People who came are mostly Indonesians, Moslem, Catholic, Protestant and few white Americans. I was sitting with Indonesian SsPs Sister, Edel Deong whose ministry in Chicago and two of her sisters in her congregation, one Phillipina and one Vietnamese American. The entertainment was started with place dance (tari piring) by Brother Ignatius, sx, then Brother Suharno, sx playing guitar and singing songs he composed when he’s in minor seminary. Brother Dharmawan, sx was playing a drama, becoming a husband with his well done acting that made people happy and laughing and giggling repeatedly. There were a lot of Indonesian foods prepared by Indonesian groups. After the door prize of ruffle ticket, it ended with Indonesian dance called Poco-poco. Father Aniello, sx came as well to this event. Overall, this wonderful feast of Indonesian Catholic group in Chicago is successfully held by the coordinators who worked hard and enthusiastically. Congratulation to Yuni and Nita and all friends who have worked hard for this fun festivity. Father Jack, cm was coming and participating in this celebration. Father Sony, svd who will depart to Indonesia after living continuously in the U.S.A for six years on this coming Wednesday, gave me and Father Victor a ride coming back to Hyde Park. Have a safe trip, Father Sony and good luck with your mission in Angola, Africa.

Sunday, October 23, 2005.
In the morning I woke up at 6.50 a.m. and took shower and prayed the breviary personally at my room. With Valery, I went to Saint Therese Church in Chinatown by CTA bus no. 15 and red line train. We attended the Mass at 9.30 a.m. Today is the Sunday Mission. I was participating in the altar in charge of incense and it’s the first time using incense with thurible in the Mass. The deacon, Paul, svd was preaching in English and the Mass presided by Father Michael.
Since it’s the Mission Sunday, so I gave the confirmation children in the class the Blessed Guido Maria Conforti VCD made by Father Otello Pancani, sx. I brought it when I came to the U.S.A three years ago. The 5th graders (5 children) guided by Valery joined our class to watch this slide show. It’s a 30-minute story about the life of the Xaverian Society founder, Conforti, from Parma-Italy in Indonesian language so I translated into English along the show. After watching it, I asked the children some questions regard this story. I can see that the universal experience both the children in Indonesia and the U.S.A. They paid attention to this show that introduces the mission and the work of the Xaverian missionaries. At least when I asked why Conforti could not become a missionary and they have various answers they picked up from this story. I asked them what little Conforti said before the cross and one of them could answer, “I am looking at him (Jesus) and he is looking at me and he is telling me many things.” In Indonesia as well the children could answer this Conforti’s spiritual experience of cross because it’s repeated a couple of times in the VCD with the little Conforti picture with full of color kneeling before the Christ. Hopefully, it will give them some insight in their faith’s journey. They commented that this is cool; the common comment of youth in the U.S.A. Father Michael gave us pairs of suite, to me as well as Valery. It’s my first pair of suites I ever have in my life. Thank to Father Michael, sx as well as thank for the bag for my laptop in which Valery was the one who asking of it for me.
I am satisfied by the impression of the kids in the class of confirmation today. I saw their different behavior today. Alex, the only boy in this program was asking me as I operated my laptop for the VCD of Conforti, “How old is your computer?” I replied by asking, “What do you think, how old is it?” He answered, “I think it’s two years older than me?” I was laughing to know their reaction. I know that it’s old but at least I can use it to type and watch the DVD and VCD. I asked the children whether they have computer at their homes and it’s true that each one of them has their own personal computer. They laughed at me and my computer because it’s old style. I didn’t feel offended instead I was just smile and I am feeling being paid attention by them. It’s very different experience with them. Because I have been in their class in one month together with one Jesuit student, Cesare, but they always behave, never asking this ‘silly question.’ I feel good that eventually the children can speak spontaneously to me in friendly way. Hopefully, it will continue in next meetings.
A quarter to three in the afternoon, George gave us a ride to Hyde Park, our house, while the weather today is the coldest so far during this Fall season, about 36 Fahrenheit degrees. George was accompanied by his son, Matthew (first grader at Saint Therese School Chinatown) and Monica (2nd grader). After the evening prayer and supper, I did type this journal and post it to my blog websites, http://acdw74.blogspot.com and http://acdw74.multiply.com

No comments: