Sunday, September 25, 2005

4th letter of September 2005

4) 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time, September 25, 2005

Monday, September 19, 2005.
This week the liturgical team is Father Pascal, Dharmawan and Valery. In the raining of the morning I went to CTU to attend class of Amos and remained there to study Presiding class and at 1 p.m. I attended the presiding class in which two of our classmates, one Vietnamese (Ti, scj) and one Chinese (Paul, svd) brought Moon cake and Jasmine Tea. The professor, Fragomeni was very happy for this hospitality. In the lectio divina of our community, Dharmawan guided us with the paper prepared by Father Victor as usual. I saw in the Xaverian mailbox at CTU a paper of transferred credit of Harno. I took a look on it and I compared with mine. He got 16 courses transferred on the checklist and I only have 10 and a half courses. Even though it’s quite different, I am still glad that I will finish my M.Div next year in May 2006 after studying theology at CTU for three years. It’s normal time (three years for M.Div in priesthood track) for Indonesian students at least I know from the experience of my friends at SVD (Benjamin, Sony and Francis), Petrus, sx and one of my classmates in the Driyarkara School of Theology Jakartat) who is CICM student from Indonesia studies at Oblate Mary Immaculate School of Theology because normally after we studied some theology subjects in Indonesia we can do transfer some subjects in the U.S.A. school of theologies. Even though in comparison with others I have the least of transferred credits, but I am still feeling glad that somehow I can finish this M.Div in three years. It could happen because I also took CPE class (immersion) last summer 2005 at Alexian Brothers Medical Center.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005.
In the morning I called up my youngest brother, Jimmy in Ponorogo, Indonesia who just married last Saturday. I talked to his wife, Jenny as well on the phone. Even though I could not witness their marriage but at least I have congratulated them via phone. They are looking forward my visit in Indonesia in June-August 2006, still 8 more months. My brother asked me prayer so that he will be a good husband and having a son or daughter soon. Of course I remember him and her spouse in my prayer and good wish. There’s one guest from India who stays with us. He’s the secretary of International Youth Christian Service (IYCS) who works in Paris, France. He’s Manoj Mathew, 27 years old. The whole morning till almost 2 p.m. I spent my time to read some 9 articles on the Internet for my class of Integrating core given by Dawn Notwehr (Social justice and peace issue). In the evening I attended the course of Dawn Notwehr from 7 p.m. to 9.45 p.m. I went to CTU by bike.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005.
In the morning I had class of Amos. In the afternoon I wrote/typed a letter of renewal of vows addressed to the provincial of U.S.A. province, Father Ivan Marchesin, sx, then I gave to my rector, Father Rocco in the afternoon. It is four pages paper. We are going to renew our vows (mission, poverty, obedience and chastity) on November 5.

Thursday, September 22, 2005.
I attended the class of Edmund Chia, about Dialogue and Inculturation. After the class I met the director of M.Div program, named Sister Barbara Bowe, RSCJ to know about the condition to graduate of M.Div next year especially regarding a course taken at other school of theology whether it is obligation or not. She is willing to meet me again with all my checklist and documents next Monday before noon. Actually, after finishing this semester, I still have two more courses (that would be taken at the last semester in Spring 2006) and one credit at January Term for capstone (a sort of seminar and reflection with 6 times class meetings). I asked to Nanko, the field director of CTU about the CPE meeting for next Friday, September 30, what I should bring for this CPE aftermath session (for those who have done the CPE last summer 2005). She answered just bring myself and some journal or paper I have done at the CPE program. O.K.!
In the afternoon I cooked garlic bread and fish already made from Franklin, Milwaukee for the community. In the community meeting Manoj Mathew, an Indian man gave us his experience to be a youth minister in YCS. He has been traveling in many countries including Indonesia, Sierra Leone and other parts of the world. The method of this movement is See-Judge-Act.

Friday, September 23, 2005.
In the morning I was typing my paper of Dialogue and Inculturation then I posted it at Moodle, the CTU website. The program of study at CTU always requires us to use the Internet more often since most of the paper work, reading assignment and communication among the classmates and the professor pretty much using this media. At 3 p.m. I met Father Ivan, the Xaverian provincial of U.S.A. in personal meeting for 35 minutes. At night I watched TV to see the Hurricane Rita that hit Gold Coast in Gulf Mexico, Galveston, Houston (Texas) and Louisiana.

Saturday, September 24, 2005.
At 7.30 a.m. we celebrated the morning prayer at the chapel with sitting on chairs then the Eucharistic Prayer at the mediation room sitting on the pillows. It is a new style created by the liturgical team this week. After the breakfast, Ignas and Valery took me to Saint Therese, Chinatown to help out some works there. There is a new organ brought by Ben, the maintenance man of the parish, Alberto and Marvin (an Indonesian man) for Saint Therese Church. We had lunch with them cooked by Father Michael. It is always heavy meal with many varieties. I was inspecting and accompanying the two 7th graders of Saint Therese School who worked cleaning the church. George, a nice fellow of Saint Therese, whose little son named Matthew, offers me to join him and Father Michael to attend a Chinese Catholic Convention that will be held in Boston from 10-13 November 2005. I would ask my formators first and see my timetable then soon I will reply to him. In the evening at 5 p.m. Father Michael invited us (Darlene, Ignatius and me) to attend Ramayana performance at the suburb, about 15 miles from Chinatown. The dance was collaboration of Thailand, Indian and Indonesian communities in Chicago. Thank you to Martino Tangkar, one of the Indonesian people who held this beautiful performance. He gave us the compliment tickets to see this 2.5 hours dance. At 10 p.m. we returned to Satin Therese and had dinner, the leftover of the lunch today. I remained stay at Saint Therese and went to bed at 11.15 p.m.


Sunday, September 25, 2005.
I woke up at 7 a.m. and took a shower at Saint Therese rectory. After having breakfast, I served as an acolyte at the Mass of 8 a.m. presided by Father Aniello. There were about 23 people coming to this Mass including Marvin. I talked to Marvin to be an alter server at the Masses of Saturday 5 p.m. and Sunday 8 a.m. that normally there’s none serving as altar servers. It seems that he is willing to serve next time and Father Aniello also agrees to welcome him. At 9.30 a.m. Mass once again I served as an acolyte with Father Michael as the presider. There were three altar servers: Alex, Kevin, and Kerry. This time I gave communion as well to the congregation. I remembered the video I have watched a couple of days ago about giving communion to the people of God. I see their eyes, bit smiling, and solemnly put the body of Christ on their palms, bit touching their hands reverently, plus saying ‘The Body of Christ’ clearly with a hope one will answer ‘Amen.’ After giving communion and returned the ciborium in the tabernacle, Father Michael asked me to go to the downstairs kitchen to put the oven on 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I did directly even though first time I got confused with his command, “350”, I thought he asked me to put host with the number 350 but afterward I knew that it’s all about the food at the kitchen. He cooked pasta and the dessert was durian-sticky rice and coconut milk. I experience now what Petrus had experienced in two different and fulfilling each other between taking care of the Eucharist at the Mass and the food for the lunch of the parishioners after the Mass. It’s really fun to serve both at the same time consecutively, alternating each other. It’s my pleasure to serve at the altar, giving communion as well as preparing food for others. It’s part of my ministry I have done last year at the retreat house, David Darst Center and my CPE program at Alexian Brothers Medical Center. My idea, if it is possible, I can come to Saint Therese during the weekend, so that I can help other things and know more about the parish work as I prepare myself toward deaconate service next year.
At 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. we as catechists had meeting with Father Michael at Saint Therese School. There were about 13 people coming to this meeting before next week we start the Sunday school, the CCD program and the confirmation program. I will take care of the confirmation program whose 6 children of 7th grade. I will accompany them with one Jesuit student, named Cesari. At 11 a.m. there was Mandarin Mass at the church. Father Ivan came to visit the community of Saint Therese. At 1.30 p.m. Father Michael met us (Valery and me) plus Father Ivan. Father Michael asked us about our commitment and schedule to do ministry at Saint Therese Chinatown. The ministry I have is teaching the confirmation children on Sundays, twice a month accompanying the children of Saint Therese School on every other Fridays, and to be an acolyte/ Eucharistic minister at the Mass on Sundays. I am willing also to help other things such as attending meeting and doing Interreligious Dialogue and Meditation prayer every Sunday at 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. led by Father Michael.
At 2 p.m. Valery and I went home by CTA while it’s raining. I could take a rest for a while after ironing my clothes then typing this journal. In the afternoon I practiced the confession rite or the sacrament of reconciliation. I acted as a confessor/priest and my confrere, Franco was the one who confessed. Tomorrow I have to play this role in my presiding class. Last week the professor, Father Fragomeni asked us to memorize the structure of this sacrament as well as the formula prayer of the absolution. I am glad that finally I could recite it in my remembrance as I practiced it with Francois.

Here is my sharing I wrote for my Dialogue and Inculturation paper:
Denny Wahyudi, SX
Inculturation & Dialogue (CD 4100-1)
Instructor: Edmund Chia

MY EXPERIENCE OF DIALOGUE AND INCULTURATION

My name is Denny Wahyudi, born and grew up in a little city called Madiun in East Java Province, Indonesia. Both of my parents are Chinese descendants who were born in Indonesia but they do not speak Chinese and even my grandmothers didn’t speak this ancestor heritage. Apparently my family is still keeping same Chinese descent marriage that is happened as well to my other four siblings. No wonder my skin and bodily features are depicting a Chinese man that makes different with other Indonesians who are called indigenous people. When I was kid often times I heard a sarcastic saying of those who are not Chinese descent in calling us as ‘Cino’ that has a negative perception in my ear. In the history Indonesia was colonized by the Dutch for three and a half centuries that made Indonesian people split in some social strata. The Dutch used a political policy to divide the Indonesian society known as ‘divide et impera’ means to divide the unity of people so that they could be controlled and to be weak fighting against the Dutch. The Chinese descendant was placed in the middle class that normally held the economical life of the society and the indigenous poor people were experiencing harmful treatment and injustice by the higher strata both the Dutch and the Chinese descents. It impacts a lot in the soul of the indigenous people until now. It is evident in the riot history in Indonesia when there is a riot or unrest the Chinese people became scapegoats of the mass. They destroyed and burned stores, malls, factories, and raped Chinese girls that happened sadistically in May 1998. A lot of Chinese people at that time flew running away to other countries including the U.S.A. Until now this latent situation is still exist in Indonesia. Not only to Chinese descendants the mass unrest attacks but also to non-Islam people such as Christians, Buddhism and Hinduism. There is always story of destruction of other religion buildings of worship. It seems there is enmity between the majority, that is the Muslim against other religions. Even though the government has ruled the equality of different religions but in fact the minority is always becoming a victim. Recently there are closing of some churches in West Java and Jakarta by some militant Muslim who forcibly forbade these other religions to worship in their own buildings. Of course it is not happened in whole areas in Indonesia but only in few areas where the fundamentalist Muslim have big influence. Most Indonesian Muslim people have tolerance toward other religions. I experienced it when I was in the Junior High School in which most of my close friends are Muslim and indigenous people. In this step of my life I experienced exceedingly the diversity milieu that I ever have. Most of my peer friends are Muslim and indigenous people and it shaped my perspective toward them. My parents have negative stereotype toward the Indigenous people but this teaching was not bothered me any longer since my own experience told me. It continued to my High School three years where most of my peer friends are Moslem and non-Chinese descents as well. To reflect on these experiences, I am grateful to have this diversity intermingling with others that gave me new mentality toward diversities in many ways of human beings. More and more I became open toward others and it happened as well in my experience working in Jakarta after graduated of High School. Most of my colleagues where I worked are Javanese people that I already had accustomed to deal with since in Junior High School. It helps me apparently in my religious life, the Xaverian Missionaries living together with my confreres who are from different tribes and backgrounds. Eventually, it enforces me to project my life as a missionary living in a different culture and across country and continent. I have been trained in diversity and accepted the otherness as they are that enriching my perspective to be a local human in a universal embracing mentality.
My experience in interreligious and intercultural dialogue was initiated in my early life when I was dealing with my environment and people surrounded me as I mentioned above. Even though my family has tendency to admire their own Chinese descendant culture but my perspective as a human being does not follow this step. As I grew and learned of others, I saw that it is not who or what that matters but how does one do and be is really matter. I cannot easily accept generalization toward others but I believe that every person has uniqueness no matter his/her heritage. My experience dealing with interreligious dialogue has been shaped gradually in my life in the Xaverian formations since in Indonesia. I had experience having ministry of Interreligious Dialogue when I was in the philosophy studies (college) in Jakarta. The most interesting one is when I lived in at a Buddhist (Theravada) temple in Mendut, Central Java. I was accepted so nicely by the president of Theravada Indonesia, Bhikku Pannavaro and the vice president, Bhikku Jotidhamo. They openly answered my questions and took me a tour knowing the temple that built at the same land of formerly known as ‘Mendut School’ for lay Catholic people in the past, early 1900’s. I stayed at this temple as a guest who wanted to know the Buddhist teaching for 6 days. I prayed morning and evening prayer with the ‘samaneras’ (the candidate of bhikku/Buddhist monks), practicing meditation and reciting the prayer that they call as chanting. Even I still remember one sentence in this chanting, “Namo Taso, Bhagavato, Arahato, Sama Sam Budhasa…”(Pali language). I learned that the life of this Buddhist celibacy is very strict, even more than the religious life I live out. It gives me insights and comparisons to both similar lifestyles that help me to put myself in better awareness. I was amazed and admired their denial of the world and their way in keeping balance in their body, mind, heart, spirit and harmony with the nature. All in all I am grateful to my formators who gave me opportunity to experience this precious direct interreligious dialogue that I never forget in my life. This experience was continued with my experience of dialogue with others in my Interreligious dialogue ministry in Jakarta for two years. Often times I visited Buddhist temples, Christian churches, Moslem students and other religions. Once I asked the agenda of Interreligious Dialogue in the Archdiocese of Jakarta and I met the one who is in charge of this office but unfortunately, he did not have special agenda on this area. I see in the parish level, there is no special agenda for this activity. My impression is the Catholic Church in the lower level are still dealing only with their own churches things without having brave initiative to deal with other religions. It is a challenge for me that I have to put into consideration when I will be working in Indonesia with the multi cultural and multi religions setting. I am glad that this Interreligious Dialogue is continued consecutively by the Xaverian students in Indonesia. Even they have made a lot of progress in this ministry. I wonder in my formation now in theology level almost near to the priesthood, we do not have special intention to this kind of ministry in interreligious dialogue. It is one of my reasons to come to Chicago to continue my experience in interreligious dialogue but until now I do not have one. Probably, I have to do it personally or when I will be working in a parish at Saint Therese, Chinatown Chicago as a deacon or pastoral year. I am glad that the pastor, Father Michael offers me to go to Buddhist temple as they invite him. I still have two more years in Chicago to finish my study and formation becoming a Xaverian missionary priest. It is a precious time that I believe I still have chance to experience more this idea I have since I was in Indonesia.
In terms of inculturation, I do not have any significant events in my life experience in Indonesia. I know there are some efforts in liturgical areas that have been done greatly by some Catholic parishes in Indonesia. I know there is a shrine in my diocese (Surabya, East Java Province) that has a custom to celebrate solemn Mass on a special day of the Javanese calendar using Javanese language. I never came to this shrine located in Kediri to join this celebration but I believe that it is one effort of the local church to make inculturation, putting local culture and belief in liturgical manners. One special Mass also I ever heard in diocese of Semarang, Indonesia. This Mass lasts four hours using Javanese cultures such as language, dances, dresses, and other things. Unfortunately, I have not experienced this event yet. In some other areas in Indonesia, the Mass is initiated with dance even the bishop who presides the Mass joins to dance with the congregation. In some parishes in Jakarta especially in Chinatown parish, there is New Year Mass that uses Chinese/Mandarin language. The government in the past prohibited all things that have connection to Chinese culture. Since the reformation 1998, the government and the Indonesian society have more and more opened to this culture. We can see some big events in Chinese New Year not only in the temples but also in public areas. It becomes part of social party in Jakarta especially in the area of Chinatown. Even some traditional dances from Jakarta/Betawi are influenced by the Chinese culture. In many ways the inculturation have happened in the Catholic Church in Indonesia. It can be done more and better with asking people of God to do more creatively. I think the church in Indonesia especially the Catholic Church has initiative and accommodative endeavors to promote this inculturation. Some liturgical songs in Indonesia are taken from many diverse cultural songs all over Indonesia and they have been done well by the liturgy team in national level. In terms of theology, spirituality, and mentality need to be explored and improved more because the Catholic Church in Indonesia, somehow are still in the control of foreigners ways. It can be seen easily when the pastor is a foreigner priest who has idealistic of Western minded that most of the time there is no sensitivity to embrace local culture. But, it all returns to the person to person of the priest, without generalizing the issue and origin.
In sum, dialogue and inculturation are two repeated words in the Catholic Church in Indonesia but in practical ways in the life of the congregation it seems that they still need to be done continuously with opening opportunity to the young people who have their own creativity and expectations. May these words not only formulated nicely in the church documents but can be applied in real and direct ways that can be seen and touched easily by the most people of God.

No comments: